PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for a Party Band?

rbachman
11-01-2002, 06:23 AM
Our band that played my wife's 50th last weekend sounded so good. We had so much fun that we decided to try and get some gigs to do our cover stuff.

How much do you charge for a party band for weddings, birthdays, etc. ??

The band is 6 people and we play 60-70's dance and listening songs.

Thanks for your help. We don't want to low ball ourselves and we don't want to price ourselves out !

rbachman
11-01-2002, 12:29 PM
So no one has any idea? Or no one wants to display a price?

charlemagne52
11-01-2002, 01:25 PM
I think you might do best on this by getting a feel for what people charge in your area, if possible...ask some local players. It's definitely different in different parts of the country.

Up here in the sticks some bands might do a party for as little as $250-$300...especially if the band is just starting out and doesn't have a reputation.

My band usually gets about $200 to $250 per man for weddings...we're a 5-8 piece band...weddings are a lot of work, we earn it, and we've been doing it a long time. We charge more for jobs that are a long way away. Agents usually add a percentage on top of that, when they get us the gig.

On the other hand we will play functions for $100 per if it's the middle of the winter, not around the holidays, a favor for a friend, etc. We play a lot of benefits for free or very cheap. We don't play clubs much anymore but we do it for what we can get...club owners are usually pretty financially stressed out...sometimes it's $60 or $70 each (which is what I used to make playing clubs thirty years ago!!) but it's fun, you can play whatever you want, originals, etc and you get some exposure and can invite your buds. There aren't many clubs left up here and they should be supported.

Good luck!! Negotiating band prices is a little art, a little science.

evan256
11-01-2002, 02:34 PM
In Dallas the going rates are:

65 to 85 per player for club gigs.

100 to 125 per player for private parties.

200 to 250 per player for corporate events, commercial gigs, etc.

Your sisters wedding, free!

Good luck with your band and don't sell yourself short.

jmintzer
11-01-2002, 04:25 PM
Well,

According to another thread, the going rate is a fifth of Jack Daniels and a bag of Weed. Of course, YMMV! ;)

James

alchu
11-06-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by jmintzer
Well,

According to another thread, the going rate is a fifth of Jack Daniels and a bag of Weed. Of course, YMMV! ;)

James

:)

jira
11-06-2002, 05:58 PM
About 100-250 per player depending on the quality of the player in these parts.

SteveS
11-06-2002, 06:25 PM
Beer and Pizza! What else?

Stixx
11-06-2002, 11:02 PM
we get 1200 for private parties at rich folks houses and country clubs and that is for a 8 to 12 type gig.

Outdoor gigs are extra and only if commercial tents are present .

I have done parties with just me and a woody guitar singin and pickin for 250 and if you don't get tipped a hundred by the owner don't go back .

Hope that helps .

I have a friend whos band is quite large and they took down 3000 for a party in another state and had to give the agent 20% so it all comes down to about 100 to 250 per man for a typical five piece band.

Frat parties sometimes pay well too. depends on the fraternity.

Think of it as moving equipment cost and singing for free. LOL

:roll:

trpullen
11-06-2002, 11:33 PM
We use the Rockford Files method. $250/hr plus expenses. :)

rbachman
11-07-2002, 06:34 AM
Thanks for all your responses.

I think we are going to start off getting a little over $100 per in the beginning until we get some more experience and then try and raise it up a little!!

TimmyPack
11-07-2002, 09:10 AM
WOW, my band makes no money.

We usually will play churchs, or church functions for $300 total plus expenses. So we usually get 60 or so a piece for playing an hour or so.

I guess we are really on the low end. Plus if we play at a church service they almost always take up some for of love offering.

trpullen
11-07-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by TimmyPack
WOW, my band makes no money.

We usually will play churchs, or church functions for $300 total plus expenses. So we usually get 60 or so a piece for playing an hour or so.

I guess we are really on the low end. Plus if we play at a church service they almost always take up some for of love offering.

OK, I should have clarified. My bluegrass band does $250/hr plus expenses. I play for free at church.

BloomfieldMAP
11-13-2002, 09:19 PM
You can get paid to play a guitar? at a party?
:roll: :roll: :roll:

min7b5
11-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Call a few angencies in your area and pretend you need a quote for a wedding. Ask about a band your size, doing stuff you do, for a wedding. I know it's not exactly honest, but at least you'll have a picture of what the market will bear in your area. You might want also go as far as getting a demo or two to see how others are presenting themselves.

Deidelberg
11-18-2002, 10:31 PM
Here's my band's web site to give you an idea of what we do: www.themightyquinnband.com

Playing a corporate party or wedding is very different from playing a bar gig or a party in someone's home. If you're going for the high profile / high dolla gigs, you're playing at a country club, nice hotel ballroom etc... There's definitely a decorum involved. No swearing, appropriate dress and behavior while setting up and tearing down etc...

There will be a written contract.
You may be expected to play a very quiet and mellow set while people are eating.

You will be expected to be the MC for the event and you will likely receive an itinerary with timing that won't realistically happen.

You will be expected to be very flexible.

You may or may not get fed.

You'll probably have to use the service entrance, go through loading docks, kitchens and freight elevators. Often not an easy load in.

If they're paying $200 a person, you'll probably be expected to wear a tuxedo.

Your equipment must work properly and can't look like ****.

Sometimes you'll get a big stage or a large area to set up. Sometimes you'll have to cram 9 people and equipment on an area the size of a postage stamp.

You'll have to play stuff that the really old people like.

You can't play as loud as you would in a bar.

You'll be expected to put on some kind of show and to keep the event moving.

Here's a biggie...... You'll often be contractually obligated to set up hours in advance of an event. We often set up and then go home to shower and change. Thus, there are many more hours involved in doing one of these gigs.

You'll be playing for people who want to dance and hear fun songs. They don't want to hear your incredible version of eruption or some steve vai tune.

To really get the jobs coming in, you'll probaby have to deal with an agent or two. (www.class-acts.com)

You'll need to record a high quality demo CD.

You'll need to have professional photos taken.

The list really does go on and on. It's a lot of effort, but you can have a lot of fun doing it.

I'm glad our 5 piece version is playing two bars this weekend. I want to turn it up a bit and play some rock tunes we can't do at the fancy shindigs.