The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Very long-winded Martin 000X1 review

Well, I finally purchased the Martin 000X1 I'd been thinking about for a few months now, and after a few days with it am ready to post a highly positive review. Some of this of course is the enthusiasm that comes with a new purchase, but what the hey.

First, a few caveats/disclaimers:

1. I am aware that the back and sides of this guitar are essentially Formica. Please don't feel the need to tell me this.

2. I am also aware that in the same price range I could have found something much "better" (read: all solid woods) used. But I wanted to raise this one from a pup, so to speak.

3. And I'm aware that many of you will think that I should have taken the time to save more and buy something more expensive. When I made initial queries about this guitar, I received many replies suggesting guitars that cost upwards of $1500-2000, street price. Folks, this is just not helpful. Many of us are trapped in a given market and just can't spend that kind of dough on a guitar. I've got preschool to pay for, and a guitar is a pretty frivolous item for me! I'd gladly accept a Froggy Bottom as a gift, but just can't bring myself to pay this kind of money outright for what is, for me, a hobby at most. Call me cheap if you'd like.

So the background: I've been playing off and on (mostly off) for about twenty years. Started in college with a friend's guitar and the "Grateful Dead" songbook. A familiar story. Gave it up within a year or so because for some reason I just couldn't play barre chords. Or an "F" for that matter. Picked it up again about six years ago when I was in Austin for SXSW--got caught up in the spirit of things, and bought a very inexpensive Sonata dreadnought (I think they're made by Samick) at a store in Austin. Not bad at all--perfectly suited my needs. Played for a few months, and lots came back to me, and miraculously, I was suddenly able to play barre chords and that elusive F. (Still couldn't do a D minor fast enough, though!)

Life intervened in lots of ways, and I slowed way down on playing, largely due to the tenure track and starting a family. But this fall, I was up for tenure, and the stress had me looking for an outlet. Dug out the old Sonata and started playing for an hour or two a day. This was a fantastic stress reliever, and got me really thinking about a new guitar.

I started shopping around, and knew that my budget was about $500. I also looked at lots of things that would have really stretched that budget beyond feasibility, just to be sure. Here's the list of things that I've played since August, in no particular order:

1. Taylor: 110, 114, 214, Big Baby
2. Larrivée: OM-03 SP, OM-O3 R, L 03, L 03 R
3. Martin: 000X1, 000-28EC (why not?), DX1, DM, 000-16GT, 000CX1E, 1957 00-18V (long story), and 00X1 Java Mahogany
4. Guild GAD 30 M and GAD 30 R
5. Blueridge BR-43, BR-143, BR-163
6. Seagull, model escapes me.
7. And lots of others, nothing notable (although no offense!)

Very quickly a short list emerged, again in no particular order:

1. Martin 000X1
2. Larrivée OM-O3 SP (wasn't wild about the rosewood tone here)
3. Guild GAD 30 R (but very much liked the rosewood tone here)
4. Was also VERY intrigued by a Martin 000-15, but couldn't find one to play even with a reasonable drive. Seems to be a pretty particular tone, and therefore didn't want to take the risk. With my luck it would have been damaged in return shipping, and I didn't want to take on that potential liability after some of the horror stories I've heard here and elsewhere.

After lots of thought and playing, plus my wife's pretty firm hands on the pursestrings, it became clear that the Larrivée was still out of range, even at its best price. But even before that factor came into play, I had already pretty much ruled it out: the trebles were just a bit too high for me. (I should say that I live and play in a pretty bright environment, so if it sounds too shimmery in the shop, it will sound brittle at home. This is also why I ruled out the Taylors early on, although they all had exceptional playability.)

The GAD 30 R was pretty phenomenal tone-wise. It's also an exceptionally well-built instrument: dovetail neck joint, very nice finish and construction, pretty low action (which I prefer) from the outset. I did notice on both GADs the problem that some others have signaled: namely, that both E strings are set a bit close to the bevels on the frets, and can very easily slip off. The shop owner was also pretty clear that this was quite easy to fix with a new nut that ever so slightly adjusted their position without really compromising the overall string spacing.

But the problem with the GADs--for me--was the combination of a long scale (25.5") and a 1-3/4" nut width, which actually made it very difficult for me to play a number of first-position chords. It felt as if my hand were being stretched too much in weird directions. I imagine that this is something I could get used to, but didn't feel that I wanted to struggle with a guitar I've really been looking forward to buying.

So the Martin 000X1 emerged as a clear winner. I read lots of positive reviews on line, and most important, I liked the feel and tone of the guitar. I should also specify that I don't really care if a guitar's made of green cheese, provided it plays well and sounds good. And this one filled the bill. I also imagine that I feel a bit better about something that's built sustainably, although I can't really say that that was much of a factor in the decision.

First, the shallow stuff: this is a VERY stripped down guitar. No fret position markers on the fretboard, for example--only side position markers. The fretboard and bridge are made from either Morado or EIR--I can't tell the difference--and NOT Micarta, as many others have suggested. The stratabond neck--effectively a sort of plywood--is quite "woody" looking, and feels quite solid. There is no binding, and the top has a satin finish. The rosette is a tastefully subtle decal.

Less shallow stuff: the nut width is 1-11/16", but feels a bit wider in terms of string spacing. An important thing where nut widths are concerned, a dealer told me, is not just width, but how each manufacturer makes use of the available space. If you don't believe me, try a Martin and a Blueridge with the same nut width: if you're like me, you'll feel a difference. This one felt quite good to me: enough room to play around, but not so much to get lost. The top is solid spruce; bracing is Martin's X-series style with spruce as well. My understanding is that this bracing style allows for lots of top vibration to compromise for the HPL back and sides.

Tone: while there is a high end here, it's subtle--not at all like the Taylors or Larrivées that I tried. As is to be expected, it's the low end where the difference comes out. There is a growl on the E and A strings that was missing in many of the others that I've played, and feel-wise, it approaches the Guild GAD 30 R's gut-shaking rumble (for me!--lots of you might feel differently), although is not nearly as deep as the 000-28EC, which one feels in one's toes. Less charitable souls might call the tone "muddy." There is a certain fuzziness to the tone that I quite like, and I'd call it "velvety," especially on the high end when strummed. I've found this to be quite common to the Martin X series, and I like it in all of them, but many may not. To each his or her own.

When fingerpicked, it works quite well for bluesy stuff: some of the first material I played was some (loosely approximate) Robert Johnson material, where the combination of string-spacing and tone works quite well for those famous descending bass lines. And it's not for nothing that Clapton played a Martin on his famous Unplugged set: there is an approximation of the bassy tone of his 000-42 (think the opening A-C two-note riff that precedes the D minor in Layla, or the E-F#-A that start off Tears in Heaven) in this guitar. A pretty faint approximation, but I can dream can't I? Let's call it a family resemblance.

Some have said that there is little sustain in these guitars. I disagree, based on my experience. Volume-wise, they're not the loudest guitars in the room by a longshot, but when one digs in they're plenty loud. And a quiet guitar is kind of a good thing for me, as I play mostly when my two-year old is napping or after my wife has gone to bed, and we live in a pretty small house.

That's all that I can think of for now. I also want to thank all of you for your input as I have gone through this process, and all of you who have reviewed any of these guitars in the past--my searches have been pretty extensive! Thought it was time to give back, and hope that someone finds this review useful.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks, I have played a couple of those, and they are nice!

Sammy
Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Sounds like you're happy and have a guitar that fits your current needs, nothing wrong with that at all.

Enjoy you Martin!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-26-2007, 01:26 PM

Enjoy it!
A new guitar that you like is ALWAYS a new guitar that you like no matter what the brand is or what model it is.
Did that make any sense at all???
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM

Default martin

Good choice. I own several higher end guitars but more often than not I pick up my less expensive 214. If I had to pick one that would be it .

Enjoy.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 PM

I'm glad to see an honest review on a guitar forum that doens't seem to totally blow off the X series Martins. I think a lot of them are great guitars for the cost. A lot of em just play and sound really good. The thing I don't like about them is the rosette is ink and will come off eventually with enough play.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsinni View Post
The thing I don't like about them is the rosette is ink and will come off eventually with enough play.
Well when it does, that's just one less thing in life to worry about.

I love my 000X1. Sounds good with a Fishman Rare Earth pick up too.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM

I dont own one, but I have played that guitar many times before in guitar stores and it's a nice sounding guitar (which to my ears sounds arguably better than some solid wood models). have fun playing

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Have one, love it. It's my jam/camp/just grab it guitar. I think the 000 size is perfect for the X series. The DX, solid top or not, sounds a little hollow by comparison.

The 000X1 is clearly Martin voiced. If someone hears you play they will know it is a Martin. With an X you can have a little fun. I have a bright yellow, vinyl "Howdy!" on the back of mine. When I jam with it I'll turn it over and show it to the audience and get a laugh. I carried with me to a week long conference and shared it around.

Mine was not new, it had been "rode hard and put away wet" if you will. The top was well broken in though and it sounds real purty.

People who diss your guitar are just projecting their inadequacy.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Glad you're happy with your guitar, but for future reference, you can't always go by the sound of a guitar in the guitar store. They usually have old strings on them and GC almost always has Elixer's on them. That "shimer" sound can be negated by putting on a set of Alchemy strings. I've played that model and it has the Martin sound to it, which is what counts.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM

Congrats on the new guitar.

FYI: The Larrivee OM-03SP has sapele sides and back.
PRS SE Custom 24
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM

Very nice review, jb! I was shopping for a backup guitar this summer myself and was looking for a smaller body. Your short list was pretty much my short list. Though relatively inexpensive, all three are well made, excellent sounding, great value guitars. I did like the hog OM-03 the best (I didn't care for the rosewood either.) and am very pleased with the deal I got on a pre-owned one. However, I spent quite a bit of time in a GC one day with the 000X1. I tried others in the room but kept going back to it. I like a little faster neck than that one had that day but was very impressed. I'm a big fan of the Guild GAD as well, I think they're the best of the Chinese imports, and may yet wind up with a GAD-30. Enjoy your 000X1!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM

That's a nice story. My least expensive guitar (000-15S) has also become my favourite; the 'velvety' description definitely applies.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Congratulations on the new guitar! I hope you get to enjoy it for a very long time.

1964 Sears Silvertone (broken but can't part with it)
1966 Hagstrom I
1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Sunburst
1978 Guild D25CH
2005 Alvarez MSD1
2005 Martin 000-16SGT
2007 Takamine G320 w/Artec Edge BT
2007 Rogue RG100 American Flag
2008 Larrivee L-03 Silver Oak
2008 Silver Creek T-170
2009 Silver Creek D-170
Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

excellent review -

just bought a 000X1 a week ago and I'm even higher on it than this reviewer. I've had about 25 inexpensive guitars (from all the aforementioned makers) in the past 4 years, and I'm truly a new Martin convert, in terms of what they've accomplished in the 000X1. This is a well-engineered guitar. The one I had played alot & went to buy got sold out from under me. They then brought out a brand new one in the factory sealed box. I expected either a hassle getting it tuned up to try out, or a guitar that might not be as nice as the one I'd gotten to know, or both.

Took it out of the box, tuned it to a fork (it was tuned way low) and within 5 minutes it had settled right into perfect intonation. While light as a feather, this guitar is solidly built and put together. And the tone is deep, dark, very Martin-esque, and it has A LOT of sustain. In short, playability and tone on this instrument are on par with the very best sub 1000 dollar guits I've owned. I couldn't be happier.

Side note - the saddle is Micarta, a Martin synthetic which is known to be a little on the mellow side. To brighten it, i'm sure one could simply switch to bone.

and yes, the fingerboard and bridge are morado, a rosewood substitute that seems like it'll do fine. I think they use Micarta when their Morado shipments run out periodically... Micarta makes a nice fretboard and bridge too, very sim look and feel to ebony...

Way to go Martin!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion