The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Square neck vs. Round neck

Looking at resonator guitars and wanted to get some viewpoints on square neck and round neck pro's and con's.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Square necks are generally used for lap/horizontal playing, and in general, are set up with high strings ONLY for slide. I'm not sure that square necks are more stable, but they're certainly cheaper to make and perfectly functional in that application. If you plan to play it like a more traditional guitar in any way, you should get a round neck.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 AM

I guess a lot of it would depend on your own personal style and what you are playing. I have two resos, both round necks. I strap them and move around when I play; it's just the way I do it.

You may want to go to YouTube and look up Sony Landreth and Roy Rogers; these guys are killers!

Keep on playin',

D
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM

Yes, square necks are almost always played lap style, round necks can be played Spanish or lap. With the exception of the old National squareneck tri cones almost all other square necks will be spiders. Round necks may be spiders, tricones or biscuits.

It is argued that square neck spiders are stronger and can better withstand tuning up to dobro G. However, right now my 75 year old round neck Dobro has a nut extender and is tuned to dobro G. The nice thing about a round neck is thay you can do both, but the square neck will sit a little nicer on your lap.

Within the round neck guitars there are other decisions - wood, brass or steel, type of cone, 12 or 14 fret, wider flatter fretboard or narrower more radiused, action and setup, strings, tunings..... welcome to the wonderful world of resonators.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Do you plan on playing with a steel slide, or with fingers and/or bottle/ceramic slide?
Square neck reso's are played horizontal to the floor with a steel slide that fits in your whole hand. You don't fret the strings at all. You "stop" them with the slide, moving that to different positions to get different notes. The strings are set up VERY high, you couldn't fret them with your fingers if you wanted to.

With a round neck, you play it like a regular guitar...but you can put a "bottle neck like slide" over one of your fingers to slide up the strings (generally the narrow gauge strings.) You can use your other fingers to "regularly" fret other strings in addition.

Just depends on what you prefer.
I prefer steel slide. It's just more fun for me to play. I like the way the steel physically feels, and the tone it gives, the mechanics of playing with it.
Different from acoustic guitar.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-05-2007, 12:48 PM

They are different instruments for different purposes, so the question is a little difficult to answer. Like 'what are the pros and cons of an apple vs. an orange'. I would study up on traditional dobro playing and blues slide using a resonator. Once you are familiar with the styles, the pros/cons of instruments will become clear.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Here is a link to ResoNation guitar forum. Lots of very knowledgeablbe folks there that play both square neck and round.
http://www.reso-nation.org/forum.php
Drop on in and look around, ask a few questions.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM

i just went through this myself. what i was able to determine was that my intentions were most suitable to a round neck...i play slide guitar and simply wanted the resonator sound. i play with the reso upright all the time and do a great deal of fretting along with my slide so,....round neck is made for that.
if what you are interested in is a more "classic" dobro sound and intend to use a slide exclusively ( and higher , instead of lower tunings) the square neck would be the ticket.
ditto on the folks from reso-nation...very helpful!...freeman as well....most helpful and willing.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug View Post
You may want to go to YouTube and look up Sony Landreth and Roy Rogers; these guys are killers!
D
Yeah, catch these guys live. Roy Rogers had me up in front of the stage screaming my head off like the rest of the fools/fans. Amazing! The man's got the feel of the blues. And Sonny's got something very unique going on. Very worthwhile.

But getting to the square vs round question. I tried a square neck once and decided that style, with a bar, wasn't for me. The big advantage of a round neck is that you can intermix slide and fretted notes and chords. That's a huge plus, IMO.

sunburst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion